Tuesday 25 March 2014

Loner Dates

  If you think over the last month of your life, what would you say has been your highlight? 
When I asked myself this question, I came to the conclusion that my highlight last month were my "loner dates".

 I've been going on a lot of "loner dates" recently. Loner dates is what I call when you just get to spend some time with yourself doing something that you really enjoy that you would normally only do with someone else.
Why did I do this? In my current season of life, I found it very easy to simply go through the motions of every day without ever getting a chance to draw back and reflect on what I was doing. I was physically present in what I was doing, but emotionally, I have been quite distant for quite some time. 
Have you ever had that feeling where you wake up in the morning and think.. Didnt I just wake up?! How could a day have possibly gone by? I felt as if I was trying to hold steam in my hands; everything kept slipping through my fingers. I realized that I needed to start taking time for myself.
 Time to just be silent and just be human. 
To breath. 
To slow down. 
So I went on some loner dates. 
I went for a walk in the forest without listening to any music. I took time to listen to birds. I took a nap by the river in the morning. I put up a mirror in front of me and watched myself eat. 

The craziest thing? I used to feel really lonely when I was alone, and now spending time in solitute and reflection is what I crave to be able to love people more.

The older I get, the more time I need for reflection.
What are some "loner dates" you could go on? 

I challenge you to take some time to "loner date" yourself.

Life happens in a blink. It happens in a flash. It happens in the time it took to look back. We try to hold on tight, but theres no stopping time. What is it that ive done with my life? It happens in a blink.

No comments:

Post a Comment